It is possible to combat onychomycosis in a complex way, using a wide range of medicines, among which the use of fungal varnishes on the toenails stands out. These antimycotics are easy to use, have virtually no contraindications, and can be used at any stage of the disease, as long as the fungus has affected no more than 60% of the surface of the nail plate. It is possible to use varnish from a fungus not only as a separate drug, but also in combination with other drugs prescribed by a doctor after a diagnosis.
Features of choice and advantages of varnishes
Any effective fungicidal varnish must meet its stated properties and meet certain requirements for all antifungal drugs. These include:
- Efficiency that manifests itself from the first days of use,
- The ability to negatively affect fungi of any kind,
- Prevent the recurrence of foci of fungal infection of the toenails,
- Have a minimum of contraindications,
- Eliminate the symptoms that a fungal infection entails.
Only a specialist will be able to choose the most suitable nail fungus varnish on the legs, which will contain the necessary amount of active ingredients. Independent attempts to choose a drug may lead to the use of a drug with a reduced content of antifungal components, which in turn will cause immunity in the infection to the drug used.
Nail fungus varnish was developed specifically to eliminate the signs of onychomycosis as it can be applied directly to the lesion. The external drug penetrates directly under the plate through microcracks in the nail structure, destroying the mycelium.
Fungicide varnishes have the following advantages:
- The liquid structure of the drug allows it to quickly penetrate under the nail plate,
- Before application, there is no need to soften or remove the top layer of the nail, just disinfect,
- The action of the drug begins immediately after application, its effectiveness is noticeable from the first days of use,
- The airtight film created by the varnish on the surface of the nail prevents further reproduction of a fungal infection by blocking its access to oxygen,
- Relieves the symptoms of fungal infection, eliminates itching, removes redness, reduces the signs of the inflammatory process.
It is advisable to use varnish for the treatment of nail fungus if the onychomycosis is superficial and the area of infection does not exceed 2/3 of the entire plaque. It is common to use this form of medication for those patients who are contraindicated in tablet therapy.
In order for the nail antifungal drug to be as effective as possible, some rules for its use must be followed. You can improve the effect with the help of proper application and preliminary nail preparation.
The rules for the use of fungicidal varnishes are as follows:
- The first step is to wash the toenails affected by the fungus well. As a detergent, you can use ordinary washing powder, which has disinfecting properties,
- Then the nail plate must be disinfected with an ordinary cloth with alcohol. Most fungus nail polishes contain cotton swabs soaked in an alcohol solution. Iodine can be used as an alternative to alcohol,
- Clean the nail with a cotton cloth, if there are varnish residues from the previous application, they must be removed,
- The nail should be cut as short as possible and its surface treated with a disinfected nail file,
- It must be applied according to the instructions and the time necessary for the composition to dry must be kept.
Each nail polish has its own frequency of application for treating fungus. It is also not recommended to use several drugs at the same time, as each of them has different components and has a certain level of antimycotic activity.
Overview of modern varnishes
To browse through the modern pharmaceutical offers on nail fungus varnishes, you should study the most common offers.
- Varnish based on Terbinafine, which has a fungicidal effect. Fungal curative nail polish is especially effective against mold, yeast and dermatophyte pathogens. In the early stages of the disease, it is able to deal with the infection on its own. It is used in combination with other means. Just apply twice a week, as its active ingredient works for several days. The average duration of treatment is about six months or more, the drug is prohibited for pregnant women and during feeding. Side effects are itching and redness of the skin around the nail. It is possible to apply over a regular colored nail polish to maintain an aesthetic appearance during therapy.
- Enamel from a fungus with the active substance Amorolfine, it is advisable to use it only if the pathogen has affected no more than 60% of the nail plate area. Otherwise, the use will not be effective. Amorolfine fights various types of pathogens, is able to destroy the mycelium of various types of infections, unlike other similar drugs. Another advantage is that it should be applied no more than twice a week, and the duration of therapy itself is six months. Contraindications are identical to similar varnishes.
- Based on Cyclopirox. Its manufacturers claim that it is a drug that can affect 58 types of fungal pathogens. Cyclopirox acts as the main component of the drug, treatment is carried out for three months according to a certain schedule. The main contraindications for use are hypersensitivity to the ingredients, pregnancy and lactation, as well as the age group up to 10 years. This is the best drug of its kind.
- Aventis. Varnish is designed to combat various mycotic forms, as long as the stage of the lesion has not changed to purulent. It is effective not only for the nail plate, but also for the soft tissues around the nail. The use of the drug during pregnancy is allowed, but its cost is 1, 700 rubles, which makes it not available to all patients,
- Varnish, which belongs to low-budget funds, but its effectiveness is proven. However, it makes sense to use it only at the initial stage, otherwise cheap varnish will be ineffective. Shown when delaminating the plate. Colored medical varnish is produced in various shades, which makes the treatment process easier,
Almost any fungal nail infection nail polish can be used with cosmetic nail polish. This makes the treatment process very convenient. The compatibility of the drug with a decorative coating is usually indicated in the instructions for use of an external agent.
The classification of nail fungus varnishes is constantly updated with various innovative developments from modern pharmaceutical production. Each clear coat combines these components that have a targeted antifungal effect.
The effectiveness of each drug is tested in practice, as the choice between modern varnishes is extensive. These reviews on the use of nail fungus on legs will help you decide on the choice of drug and characterize each remedy in terms of its effectiveness.
- The first review, a girl, 22 years old: "I used a varnish based on Cyclopirox on the recommendation of a doctor. It costs a lot of money, but the drug was fully justified. I noticed the first changes in the nail on the second day, the redness disappeared and the never-ending itching has stopped. fungus, I think we can deal with that in a matter of weeks. "
- The second review, a man, 35 years old: "I tried Amorolfine-based varnish in combination with other drugs. It is convenient to use, although the price bites me. I don't know what specifically helped, varnish, pills or everything else in the complex, but the fungus receded after three weeks. The bottle was enough for the whole period of therapy, even still. I hope it won't be useful. "
- The third review, a woman, 36 years old: "I used an economical varnish. Why pay more if there is an equally effective affordable remedy? The varnish was used under a decorative one, it was inconvenient, however, it was constantly washed and But the treatment was a success. "
Varnish from a fungal infection of the nail plates on the legs is a convenient drug for its use that can quickly have a destructive effect on the causative agent of the infection. Which nail fungus varnish is best depends on the stage of the lesion, the type of pathogen and the individual characteristics of the patient.